Sunday, April 17, 2011

Garrett Has Arrived! Part 2

They now had brought out the wheelchair to wheel me to admissions. About this time I thought, hmm, time to call work! I called Karen Williams and simply stated - "Uh, I am not going to make it in to work today, I am having a baby at 1:30! Tell the guys!". Needless to say, they didn't believe her at first. They are so used to tricking me and having me fall for everything, I think they thought they I was trying to get them back! If only that was it :-).

They then brought me to a labor/delivery prep room to get me good and liquid full for the epidural. At this point I am in full freak out mode and have yet to receive any happy drugs. I am calling my parents trying to make sure they were going to make it with my camcorder. I had my camera on me, but that was it! My mom was bringing the camcorder so we could start filming as soon as he arrived (no filming of the gore). Luckily they did! Within 45 minutes of arriving in the room and being pumped full of fluid, I was being wheeled to delivery! At this point, things get hazy. The happy drugs had arrived! I remember meeting up with Dr. Lee in the hall, the pinch of the epidural, the call to begin because my blood pressure was dropping. This was because fear had set in - I was about to be cut open while awake and become a mother! My day had not been prepped for this - planning lunch was all I'd thought about!

As it began, I could see some reflection in the light. Liquid red, not pleasant! Then Dr. Lee said ok, here he comes! I felt the pressure of the last 4 months on my ribs release and a few seconds later I heard him cry. It was incredible. The next 20 minutes were screaming, cleaning, Randy holding Garrett with my mom filming while I was being put back together. My first chance to hold him I was trying not to drop him due to the drugs. (I don't handle pain meds well, I get so sick!). The rest of the day is a blur - he was sent to NICU due to underdeveloped lungs, visitors came and went and the morphine kept me from remembering much!

No comments: